In July 1999, Pilgrim Station, located in historic Plymouth, Mass., became the first nuclear power plant in the country to be sold through a competitive bid process to current owner, Entergy. Founded as a Separatist colony in 1620, the town of Plymouth has been home to Pilgrim Station since the plant opened in 1972 and is the town's second largest non-government employer, with approximately 600 workers. Control room operators shut down its reactor for the final time on May 31, 2019. The decision to shut down Pilgrim was the result of a number of financial factors, including low wholesale energy prices.
Community involvement and corporate giving have long been a hallmark of Entergy's corporate philosophy. This tradition continues with Pilgrim's strong commitment to being a "good neighbor" to the communities surrounding Pilgrim, bolstered by the participation of many Pilgrim employees in charitable and civic events demonstrating their commitment to the community.
Through the plant's charitable initiatives, Entergy makes donations annually to a wide variety of non-profit organizations, schools, diversity/inclusion and community-minded groups located in and around Plymouth. Entergy also donates thousands of dollars each year to organizations that cater to arts & culture, community improvement/enrichment and the environment.
In Aug. 2018, Entergy announced it had agreed to sell the subsidiaries that own Pilgrim and the Palisades Power Plant in Covert, Mich., after their shutdowns and reactor defuelings, to a Holtec International subsidiary for prompt decommissioning. The sales include the transfer of the licenses, spent fuel, and Nuclear Decommissioning Trusts. The transactions are subject to closing conditions, including approvals from the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission.
Learn more about Pilgrim Nuclear Power Station: www.pilgrimpower.com